So, you've handed over a wad of moolah for Hourglass' latest release, now what? You've read the reviews, watched the how-to videos, stared at its uncharacteristic features -- its ripples and rolling waves, while trying to wrap your head around the fact that the pan lacks dividers. Or is it just me and the fine line of OCD-like tendencies I steadfastly walk along?
I, too, read the reviews and had my reservations regarding performance issues. Would my experience dissolve into a moment of frustration and regret? Let's delve into the Modernist eyeshadow's formula, and tailor your application.
It's mighty soft, and finely milled to help reduce the amount of guess work for you. Hourglass has dumbed down these palettes, and I for one do not feel insulted. The eyeshadows lend themselves to mixing and melding for that sultry, smoky, editorial look (how very Nina Garcia of me).
They're natural. Elements derived from the earth to intensify the colour of your eyes. I was drawn to Infinity for its rich chocolate-y browns and plummy/tea rose undertones. It's worth noting four of the five shades featured in Infinity are matte, whereas the fifth shade (centre) is the magician with its shimmery, metallic come-hitherness.
Now, this is purely based on what I personally own, but I'll do my best to offer similar brushes based on affordability and accessibility.
- An all-over brush to ace your base and to blend at the end: MAC 217 / Zoeva Soft Definer
- Define the lower lash line (I prefer stubby, rounded brushes): Zoeva Smudger / MAC 214
- A shady lady to work the eye lid: MAC 239 / Zoeva Luxe Smoky Shader / Real Techniques Shading Brush
- Cut a crease or contour: Zoeva Luxe Crease / MAC 275
- A petite miss for detailed handiwork in case you're into that sort of thing: Real Techniques Accent Brush (part of a set) / Dior Eyeliner Brush (a repurposed multi-tasker)
- Before applying your eyeshadow, prime the eye area.
- Set out your brushes in a handy spot for easy access.
- Curl your lashes first to prevent unnecessary smudging.
- Ok, we're ready to apply. When you bring the brush to the pan gently dab the surface to agitate and lift the product onto the brush. Sweeping back and forth will only lead to a messy situation.
- Next, dab (again) excess eyeshadow onto the back of your hand in order to reduce the risk of fallout. Tapping your brush over the basin works, too.
- Follow the order of operations (my method) >> Base > Contour > Shade > Line > Define > Mascara.
You'll notice there's a bit of dabbing involved prior to bringing anything near the eye area. This gentler approach means you'll be wearing eyeshadow instead of it wearing you. Does that even make any sense? In other words, your eyes won't be reduced to a powdery mess.
With your palette in one hand, and a few key eyeshadow brushes clasped in the other get ready for a strong eye game, I know you can do it!
The Bagful breakdown:
Total amount for Hourglass' Modernist Eyeshadow Palette:
Value for money spent (performance and quality):
- 8 out of 10 bags — Work with it, and it'll work for you. I can't speak for the six other shades' performance, but I am pleased as punch with Infinity.
Would another purchase be on the horizon?:
- Ambient Lighting Bronzer? Yes, please!