I’ve managed to keep the hype at arm’s length until Bobbi Brown joined the party. I grew up with Clinique thinking that was the only option for me – forever reigned in by the silver and medical white finishes. Soft, inviting and good for you. Well, I lost the Clinique shackles last year and purchased Bobbi Brown’s Skin Foundation for those days when I felt I needed a bit more coverage. It blends and builds up in an instant and leaves me with a soft and natural finish. If Bobbi’s foundation can do that, then obviously I had to get well-acquainted with her BB Cream.
Call it what you will – beauty balm, blemish balm, etc., etc. BB Cream was originally used on patients post-surgery and then made its way to the Far East where it captivated the Asian beauty market for decades. Finally, it was re-imagined for the Western world. The accessibility of beauty balm is immense – from Maybelline to Smashbox, your options are endless. It’s just a matter of finding the right formula for you.
Breakdown of Bobbi’s formula:
- Balances (moisturises), brightens (clearer complexion), renews (smooths) and protects (35 SPF).
- Creamy consistency.
- Blends well with your fingers or when using a foundation brush. However, I found I needed more product when I used a brush.
- My skin felt soft and touchable.
- The plastic tube is great for travel.
- I still feel compelled to use my facial moisturiser, because my skin’s been flaky thanks to the dry winter.
- Kept the afternoon shine in my t-zone to a minimum.
- Available in five shades: extra light, light, fair, medium & medium to dark
The Bagful breakdown:
Total amount for Bobbi Brown’s BB Cream:
- $60.00 AUS / $42.00 USD. When I bought this last Thursday, the makeup artist told me it was going to retail for $75.00. Boy, am I glad they came to their senses!
Value for money spent (performance and quality):
- 8 out of 10 bags – I think I prefer her foundation over the beauty balm, but it’s nice to have options.
Likelihood to purchase again:
- I really should’ve caught a whiff of Beach during my visit. I can always go back